We support and promote opportunities for all children and young people sing regularly – in school, out of school, in choirs and groups, at workshops and festivals and in a wide range of styles!
Secondary Schools Song Writing competition… congratulations to joint first prize winners 2018 – Trafalgar School and Matravers School. Both songs were featured on BBC Wiltshire. Details for the 2019 song writing competition will be announced in September (2018)
We know that singing is important for very young children – it helps make sense of the world, and supports phonics and literacy development.
Older young people tell us singing makes them feel good. Singing can have the same effect as physical exercise – it releases endorphins, making you feel good, reducing stress, getting more oxygen into the blood, for better circulation and a good mood!
Singing can improve pupils’ learning, confidence, health and social development – and it has the power change lives and build stronger communities
Darren Henley, National Plan for Music Education
So to support this we work with schools, singing teachers, project managers, and partner organisations to encourage and promote singing across the county – from rap to opera, and from nursery rhymes to beatboxing.
Our county strategy for Wiltshire includes encouraging all schools to have regular singing – in choirs, assemblies and across the wider curriculum, and getting more boys singing at secondary school age.
To support this we have
- A singing repertoire bursary fund to help schools and teachers access the best resources, songs and singing activities
- A project fund, to encourage start-up and development of choirs and singing projects
- Free CPD events and a CPD Bursary to help singing leaders develop their skills
- 100% Bursary scheme for the Certificate for Music Educators (CME) with Wren Music (current places for 2017/18 study have been filled)
- Please get in touch with us if you are interested in a Singing Leader visit for your school – for INSET sessions or to work with your pupils
- Please get in touch with us if you are a singing / choir leader in Wiltshire and interested in joining us as an Associate