If you love music, there are all sorts of ways you can make a living from it – whether that’s full or part-time.
The UK music industry’s contribution to the UK economy in 2021 was £4 billion
Employment in the music industry rose to 145,000 jobs in 2021
Most musicians know that getting a record deal isn’t the only route into the industry. Instead, they earn money in a variety of ways.
And if you don’t want to be a musician, there are many other options you could consider.
We’ve updated our careers resources for 2023 to include
- An updated version of our Careers in the Music Industry leaflet
- An new series of short, recorded interviews: “My Career in Music”, in which young people from Wiltshire Schools meet music industry professionals working in and around Wiltshire – the range of these will be expanded over time and we’ll be inviting feedback Secondary Schools that use them
- Updated our links to wider national careers guidance including those from BBC Introducing
- We also have this great information about copyright
- And you can still access recordings of Music Workshop’s (2022) Industry Talks “The Careers Behind the Music” and Trowbridge Town Hall’s “Routes into Live Music” sessions
- We have also updated our Careers Presentation Powerpoint slides which schools can use