Wiltshire Youth Jazz Orchestra
Type Of Organisation: Band
WYJO is the youth jazz orchestra serving Wiltshire and seeks high quality young players from all across the area.
Wiltshire Music Centre in Bradford on Avon manages the Orchestra with financial support from Wiltshire Music Connect.
It is open to any young people in the area who are playing at the required entry level.
What I / we help young people achieve
WYJO is a wonderful music learning and performance opportunity for young people playing at the top level across the area. It offers young people many benefits which we are keen to keep open to all talented young musicians:
• The opportunity to play in an auditioned jazz orchestra of 20-25 members with a professional conductor, professional tutors and featuring professional soloists at concerts.
• The workshops and course each year are delivered by professional tutors and musicians often performing in professional concerts at WMC. There are performance opportunities with these musicians as part of WMC’s professional brochure programme for friends, family and the normal core audience of WMC.
• The opportunity for 20-25 young people every year to be part of a close family of musicians, learning life skills including team working and communication and creating lifelong musical friendships.
• The opportunity to perform in a professional concert hall to a discerning audience and to be featured as a performance in the seasonal brochures of WMC.
• Subsidised tickets for all the professional concerts promoted by WMC and the opportunity to access workshops and masterclasses given by the professional musicians performing at WMC.
Opportunities for children & young people
- To learn to play an instrument and / or develop skills on an instrument
- To create / write music and / or lyrics
- To play, perform music with others
- To learn things about oneself , other subjects or life-skills through musical activity
- To work with and support other young musicians
- Term Time
- School Holidays
- Project based
- Guitar & Bass
- Drums / percussion
- Piano / Keyboard
- Electronic / Computer Music
Qualifications, Grades & Certificates Taught
- Instrument grades
Musical Clusters Covered
- B-on-A / Corsham
- Calne & Melksham
- Trowbridge (CSL)
- Salisbury / Wilton
- Marlborough & Pewsey
- Malmesbury / WB / Purton
- Mere & Tisbury
Our Training & Development
We undertake staff training in appropriate areas for our team and encourage their involvement in wider networking and CPD opportunities during work time.
We also arrange CPD for our own delivery staff (eg the musicians working with SEN young people) as appropriate.