West of England Youth Orchestra
Type Of Organisation: Orchestra
WEYO is the youth orchestra serving the region and seeks high quality young players from all across the area. Wiltshire Music Centre in Bradford on Avon manages the Orchestra with financial support from Wiltshire Music Connect. It is open to any young people in the area who are playing at the required entry level (grade 7+)
What I / we help young people achieve
Wiltshire Music Centre manages WEYO with financial support from Wiltshire Music Connect. WEYO offers many wonderful music learning and performance opportunities for young people playing at the top level across the area. The Orchestra offers young people many benefits which we are keen to keep open to all talented young musicians:
• The opportunity to play in an auditioned Grade 7+, 70+ member Orchestra with a professional conductor and featuring professional soloists at concerts.
• Three week long courses each year with professional sectional tutors followed by five or six concerts performing to friends, family and the normal core audience of WMC.
• The opportunity for 70+ young people every year to be part of a close family of musicians, learning life skills including team working and communication and creating lifelong musical friendships.
• The opportunity to perform in a professional concert hall to a discerning audience and to be featured as a performance in the seasonal brochures of WMC.
• Subsidised tickets for all the professional concerts promoted by WMC and the opportunity to access workshops and masterclasses given by the professional musicians performing at WMC.
Opportunities for children & young people
- To learn to play an instrument and / or develop skills on an instrument
- To play, perform music with others
- To learn things about oneself , other subjects or life-skills through musical activity
- To work with and support other young musicians
- School Holidays
- Project based
- Drums / percussion
Qualifications, Grades & Certificates Taught
- Instrument grades
Musical Clusters Covered
- B-on-A / Corsham
- Calne & Melksham
- Trowbridge (CSL)
- Salisbury / Wilton
- Marlborough & Pewsey
- Malmesbury / WB / Purton
- Mere & Tisbury