As a qualified music teacher I have over nine years of experience of teaching young people music. My aim is to enthuse and inspire each and every pupil I teach, by teaching them in an individual and tailored way. I am currently the singing teacher at St Augustine’s Catholic College and also teach privately in the Devizes area.
I perform regularly in the Wiltshire area both with Musical Theatre groups and at various concerts and events. I also direct choirs, both secular and sacred, and musically direct productions.
BA (Hons) Music- University of Southampton
PGCE Secondary Music- Bath Spa University
Dip ABRSM Vocal Performance- ABRSM
Grade 8 Singing- ABRSM
Grade 8 Piano- ABRSM
Grade 5 Theory- ABRSM
I offer the following:
- Singing Tuition- I teach a variety of genres and styles of singing, including Classical, Musical Theatre and Popular Music Vocals. I prep pupils for a range of exam boards, including ABRSM, LCM and Trinity.
- Piano Tuition- I have pupils working towards ABRSM exams, as well as pupils who just enjoy playing without the pressure of exams.
- Pupil Concerts- I try and arrange regular opportunities for my pupils to perform and share their music with others.
- Choir- Having been involved with choirs since a child, I now enjoy leading choirs both secular and sacred.
- Musical Directing- I am hugely involved with local amateur dramatic groups.
- Music Theory
What I / we help young people achieve
There are so many benefits of having music lessons and I aim to offer the best experience to each and every one of my pupils. I believe that music can offer so much in terms of confidence and enjoyment. I tailor lessons to each pupils' likes and dislikes, and I learn what enthuses them and makes them tick. It is so rewarding to watch children grow as musicians, and I encourage them to share their talent by performing, but never push anyone to do anything they're not comfortable with. I am passionate about encouraging the next generation of musicians and ensuring that music is accessible for all, regardless of background. In creating a safe, positive and enriching experience I hope that my pupils' learning is valuable, memorable and enjoyable.
Opportunities for children & young people
- To learn to play an instrument and / or develop skills on an instrument
- To learn to sing
- To create / write music and / or lyrics
- To play, perform music with others
- To learn things about oneself , other subjects or life-skills through musical activity
- To work with and support other young musicians
- To develop their wellbeing
Also Works With
- Term Time
- After School
Working with special needs
- I worked as a supply TA in a special needs primary school whilst I was at university and it was invaluable experience. During my time at the school I got to assist with music lessons, as well as see how music and singing was used throughout the school day to help communicate with the children.
- I have taught a number of pupils with a range of special needs, including Autism, Aspergers, Tourettes and Dyslexia. I enjoy getting to know each pupil and approaching their lessons in an individual and tailor made way.
- Singing / Voice
- Piano / Keyboard
- Music Theory
- Musical Director / Conductor
- 4 and under
Qualifications, Grades & Certificates Taught
- Instrument grades
- Duke of Edinburgh Award
Musical Clusters Covered
- Trowbridge (CSL)
My Training & Development
- Attended the week long residential AOTOS Teacher Training Course
- Regularly attend ABRSM Training Conferences and Training Days
- Attend the Rhinegold Music Education Expo each year
- As a member of AOTOS I regularly network with other local teachers and attend their training sessions
- Attended Safeguarding training at St Augustine’s Catholic College
I am passionate about developing my skills and regularly read books and magazines to help me learn more, and also am a member of Facebook groups to read and discuss issues relevant to my teaching.