James Reed Music Tuition
I provide professional guitar and ukulele lessons in the Salisbury area. Established as a private tutor in 2013, I have earned a wealth of experience teaching students of all ages & abilities and have a proven track record with a 100% student pass rate in Rockschool Grade Exams from Debut to Grade 8.
I believe that learning an instrument should should be a fun and enjoyable experience that keeps you motivated to practice and always excited to learn more. Rockschool offers accredited qualifications which ensures that we always remain productive while keeping flexible in which songs you choose to learn. Playing along with the supplied backing tracks of each song gives my students experience of playing with other musicians which helps them to pursue further opportunities by forming their own bands!
I have previously taught in Further Education, Secondary Schools and Primary Schools, and have experience supporting SEN students to achieve their musical potential. My research interest in Sociology has heightened my awareness to issues of inclusion in music for people of disadvantaged or minority backgrounds and I am continually striving to make musical education more accessible.
- Peripatetic Guitar Tutor for South Wilts Grammar School, 2022-Present
- Peripatetic Guitar and Ukulele Tutor for Avon Valley Academy, 2021-Present
- Peripatetic Guitar and Ukulele Tutor for The Wellington Academy, Wellington Primary Academy, and Wellington Eagles, 2019- present
- Private Guitar and Ukulele Tutor, 2013 – present
- Learning Support Assistant, Sparsholt College – 2014-15
- Visiting Lecturer for BTEC Music, Wiltshire College – 2013-14
- Visiting Lecturer for BTEC Music, Totton College – 2014
- Solent Sound Mentor, Southampton Solent University – 2012-13
- Session Musician, 2009-13
- MSc Social and Cultural Theory, University of Bristol (2019) – Distinction
- BA (Hons) Popular Music Performance, Southampton Solent University (2013) – First Class
- BTEC National Diploma in Music, North Warwickshire and Hinckley College (2010) – Triple Distinction
- Grade 8 Popular Music Theory, London College of Music (2010) – Distinction
- Grade 8 Electric Guitar Playing, Registry of Guitar Tutors (2010) – Distinction
- Grade 5 Music Theory, Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (2009) – Distinction
What I / we help young people achieve
Learning a musical instrument is known to produce a range of benefits including increased self confidence, stronger social skills, and higher academic attainment. My students not only develop their musicianship in lessons but learn valuable life skills that increases their wellbeing by overcoming the challenges and taking pride in their accomplishments. Having experienced the positive effect of music in my own life, I am a passionate advocate for every child having the opportunity to learn an instrument.
Opportunities for children & young people
- To learn to play an instrument and / or develop skills on an instrument
- To create / write music and / or lyrics
- To play, perform music with others
- To learn things about oneself , other subjects or life-skills through musical activity
- To work with and support other young musicians
- To develop their wellbeing
- Term Time
- After School
- School Holidays
Working with special needs
I have previously worked as a Learning Support Assistant for Sparsholt College which provided me with the skillset to effectively work with SEN students in my private practice. I have taught a range of student with mild-moderate learning difficulties, ASD and ADHD. I believe that Rockschool’s guitar method works incredibly well for SEN students due to its consistent structure across Grades and the flexibility in learning songs from the printed music, visually by tutor demonstration, and audibly with reference to the provided audio.
- Guitar & Bass
- Music Theory
- Songwriting / Composition
Qualifications, Grades & Certificates Taught
- Instrument grades
- Duke of Edinburgh Award
Musical Clusters Covered
- Salisbury / Wilton
“James is an excellent guitar tutor, his passion for the guitar and music in general is infectious and really helps me to progress my playing. I highly recommend James to anyone seeking a guitar tutor.”
My Training & Development
I am always seeking ways to improve my own musicianship and tutoring as well as exploring new methods to make practice easier for my students. My transition to using the Rockschool syllabuses in 2018 was received very positively by my students due to its smooth progression, clear requirements at each stage, supporting audio, interactive music player, and Ofqual accredited status offering UCAS points at higher grades. For my own teaching, the standardised syllabus has made it possible to liaise with other tutors regarding approaches to the practice material.
My academic pursuits in Sociology have heightened my awareness to issues of inclusion in music for people of disadvantaged or minority backgrounds and I am continually striving to make musical education more accessible.