Goffen Music Schools
I have played the guitar for over 30 years and taught in schools in various roles for over 15 years – from a senior teacher in an English Language school to a music teacher in Primary School.
I have lots of experience teaching the guitar to children aged 6+ and have also taken classes for general music lessons. I also organise school performances in which I liaise with existing choir groups and instrumentalists, and engage as many people as possible to put on inclusive events.
As well as guitar, I also teach drums and have primary school children learning for their Grade 4 Trinity Rock and Pop examinations.
I specialise in individual and small group lessons. I focus on not only learning the guitar and music but confidence boosting and inclusive aspects that are involved in group learning – from making friends, to increased self-respect, to boosting resilience and integration.
Lessons are based on children’s needs and informal assessments take place at regular intervals.
What I / we help young people achieve
- Learning an instrument in a fun, pressure free environment.
- Understanding of music theory.
- Performing in groups.- Developing computer based knowledge, use of Digital Audio Workstations to produce music e.g. Pro Logic X.
- Composing and recording music.
- Confidence boosting and resilience.
- Strengthening Relationships with peers, family and school.
- Integration through Group Lessons
- A Sense of Belonging
- Improved Focus, Attention and Retention
- A Greater Feeling of Respect for Peers and of Oneself
- Short and Long Term Goal Setting
- Stimulation of Language and Listening Skills
- A focus on achievable targets that bring a sense of accomplishment
Opportunities for children & young people
- To learn to play an instrument and / or develop skills on an instrument
- To create / write music and / or lyrics
- To develop recording /production skills
- To play, perform music with others
- To learn things about oneself , other subjects or life-skills through musical activity
- To work with and support other young musicians
- To develop their wellbeing
- Term Time
- After School
- School Holidays
- Project based
- Drop in
Working with special needs
I have spent many years working within schools and have taught many students with SEN. Teaching within small groups is a fantastic way to promote relationships with other children, helping learners build resilience and confidence while in a safe environment where they are learning to play songs that they love.
When children have not only worked hard to learn songs, but then also play them in front of their peers, the sense of achievement for them is huge. This is one of the most wonderful things about teaching – being able to facilitate children’s growth and seeing the boost in self-esteem that comes with the recognition of their own successes by themselves and they peers.
- Guitar & Bass
- Drums / percussion
- Music Theory
- Songwriting / Composition
- Digital Music
- Music Production
Qualifications, Grades & Certificates Taught
- Instrument grades
Musical Clusters Covered
- Salisbury / Wilton
- Marlborough & Pewsey
“There has been a huge amount of interest, particularly after the recent performance in the school assembly where children played alongside the choir – the quality of that performance after such a short time was tremendous.
Parents have commented on how inspiring Sam (Goffen Guitar Schools) is and the enjoyment that their children are getting from taking the lessons. It has been a delight to see so many children wanting to learn an instrument and was well worth the investment we have made as a school in purchasing in the guitars.” – Yvonne Morrison Formerly of Amesbury Primary
My Training & Development
I have played the guitar for over 20 years and taught in schools for over 15. I have a first class honours degree in Creative Music Performance from Falmouth University, specialising in guitar.
I also teach drums and have primary school children taking their grade 4 Trinity Examinations.
I play with two actively gigging bands at the moment, a funk and soul band and an acoustic duo. I write, record and produce all the music myself for the second band using Pro Logic and arrange my own guitar parts for the first.
I have taught music to classes in key stage 2 and have run successful guitar classes that have put on performances with other instrumentalists within schools.