My passion for music education has allowed me to teach in a wide range of settings and ensembles. At all times I strive to deliver lessons and workshops that emphasise music making, including composition and improvisation.
Individuality is key to my approach to one-to-one tuition. As a keen composer I often write and arrange pieces for students to help their progress.
As a performer I have been lucky enough to play in orchestras, brass bands, rock bands, jazz bands and folk ceilidh bands, giving me a knowledge of many different genres of music. I aim to help students appreciate and play a wide range of music.
I have experience teaching:
– individual piano, jazz piano, cello, drum kit and ukulele lessons
– first access tuition on djembe, samba, ukulele and violin
– primary curriculum music (including school choir, school band and school orchestra)
– after school percussion groups at primary and secondary level
– individual music sessions for students on the autistic spectrum
– school holiday music workshops
– preparation for ABRSM, Trinity and Rockschool examinations
I currently run Bradford-on-Avon Junior Strings on Tuesdays from 16.00-17.00 in the Wiltshire Music Centre:
What I / we help young people achieve
My aim is to help all students find their creative 'voice'; to build their confidence; to encourage them to tackle challenges; to foster a life long desire to make music.
Opportunities for children & young people
- To learn to play an instrument and / or develop skills on an instrument
- To learn to sing
- To create / write music and / or lyrics
- To play, perform music with others
- To learn things about oneself , other subjects or life-skills through musical activity
- Term Time
- After School
- School Holidays
- Project based
Working with special needs
I have worked with many students on the autistic spectrum on a one to one basis, using music to help enhance and enrich their learning.
- Drums / percussion
- Piano / Keyboard
- Curriculum Music (Primary)
- Musical Director / Conductor
Qualifications, Grades & Certificates Taught
- Instrument grades
Musical Clusters Covered
- B-on-A / Corsham
- Calne & Melksham
- Trowbridge (CSL)
Consultant Musical Director for Wiltshire Young Musicians