Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
Type Of Organisation: Orchestra
Founded in 1893 the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra is the Orchestra for the South and Southwest. At the BSO we are passionate about inspiring people of all ages and communities to take part in live music-making and musical events. We take pride in our delivery of world-class music and education projects to a home region of over 10,000 square miles. From urban conurbations to rural communities, the Orchestra strives to make music accessible to as many people as possible throughout the region.
The BSO brings the professional orchestra to 0-18 year olds via a wide range of school visits, workshops and coaching opportunities.
Much of our programme is designed in consultation with the Music Education Hubs across the South West of England.
Examples of our work include:
- Performing and workshops in schools and nursery settings
- Creating large-scale, inspirational projects where students get to perform alongside BSO musicians
- Presenting full orchestral concerts that promote school music making and enhance the curriculum
- Inspiring and supporting talented young musicians through coaching and masterclasses
- Developing CPD opportunities for teachers and music professionals
What I / we help young people achieve
The BSO is very passionate about enabling young people to reach their full potential. We have two streams of work focussed on young people Blast and Rising Talent which progress from each other. We aim to work with partners to make sure that there is legacy to the projects that we do and can tailor our work to offer progression opportunities for the young people involved.
Opportunities for children & young people
- To learn to play an instrument and / or develop skills on an instrument
- To create / write music and / or lyrics
- To play, perform music with others
- To learn things about oneself , other subjects or life-skills through musical activity
- To work with and support other young musicians
- To develop their wellbeing
- Term Time
- After School
- School Holidays
- Project based
Working with special needs
Yes. All our projects can be tailored for young people with special education needs and disabilities.
- Guitar & Bass
- Drums / percussion
- Singing / Voice
- Piano / Keyboard
- Curriculum Music (Primary)
- Curriculum Music (Secondary)
- Music Theory
- Musical Director / Conductor
- 4 and under
Qualifications, Grades & Certificates Taught
- Arts Award
Musical Clusters Covered
- B-on-A / Corsham
- Calne & Melksham
- Trowbridge (CSL)
- Salisbury / Wilton
- Marlborough & Pewsey
- Malmesbury / WB / Purton
- Mere & Tisbury
Just a quick line to say a huge thank you for last week’s concert at Glenmoor. I was really impressed with the musical pathway you weaved and your style of delivery – Michael Armstrong, Soundstorm
Our Training & Development
The BSO has a clear CPD and training policy. Each employee has 1-2-1 meetings with their line managers to identify development needs and then appropriate training is put in place.