Safeguarding for Music Leaders
This CPD session explores safeguarding and child protection directly in context with leading / teaching music with children and young people – whether in or out of school settings, and including private music teaching at home and leading music projects in the community. The session is aimed at independent / freelance music leaders, teachers and organisations. It provides an opportunity to refresh and update your safeguarding knowledge and practice, as well as an introductory opportunity for new music leaders.
The session will cover:
- Safeguarding and child protection – what this means, and our responsibility as music leaders
- Recognising signs of abuse or neglect
- Disclosure – what is it, what you should do
- How and where to get support and advice, whether freelance or employed by an organisation.
- Safe teaching practice – techniques and teaching spaces, dos and don’ts
- Communication – how to contact children and young people about lessons, social media boundaries
- GDPR, note taking, record keeping