We recognise a wide definition of Music Education:
- Learning to play a musical instrument either for the first time or developing skills through to the highest level – but not necessarily always being taught.
- Learning to create music – sometimes in conjunction with other art / media forms
- Being enabled to express oneself through music
- Learning things about oneself, other subjects or life-skills through musical activity
- Being enabled to play, perform and / or create music with others
- Experiencing high quality and inspirational events / performances / experiences
- Learning about musical forms and structure and its social / political and cultural context
We recognise that these things take place in a range of settings including schools, community and commercial facilities and more informal settings including the home. We also recognise that, from a young person’s perspective they’re not always seen as ‘learning’ and that can be part of the attraction.